Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz







Paperback: 302 pages
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
                  Twitter Website
Reading Level: 14 and Up
Series: Yes (Blue Bloods)
Published: March 27, 2007
Language: English 
Buy: Amazon

From Amazon:

Schuyler Van Alen is confused about what is happening to her. Her veins are starting to turn blue, and she's starting to crave raw meat. Soon, her world is thrust into an intricate maze of secret societies and bitter intrigue. Schuyler has never been a part of the trendy crowd at her prestigious New York private school. Now, all of a sudden, Jack Force, the most popular guy in school, is showing an interest in her. And when one of the popular girls is found dead, Schuyler and Jack are determined to get to the bottom of it. 


Schuyler wants to find out the secrets of the mysterious Blue Bloods. But is she putting herself in danger? Melissa de la Cruz's vampire mythology, set against the glitzy backdrop of New York City, is a juicy and intoxicating read. 



Before I write anything, I've gotta say, I don't think that description really fits the book very well... I mean, it tells you what's happening but I feel like it's also super misleading. Maybe it's just me.

ANYWAY. I've been sitting here trying to figure out if I like this book. I finished it Sunday and ever since I've been thinking about it quite a bit. The bad, the good, the whatever. I think I've come to a conclusion, though. 

It was okay. I liked it but it wasn't anything special. 

I really liked the cover. That's what made me pick it up in the first place ( like five years ago ) because as much as they say not to, I judge a book by it's cover. It's so pretty and I'm always a sucker for skylines. It really gives clues to what the story's about. There's the pearls, the girl, the bite marks! And, of course, the skyline of New York. Did I mention I really love skylines? And I'd have no problem visiting New York again. :)
Like I said, I got this book like five years ago when, I guess, it first came out? That was during my whole read everything vampire stage. Unfortunately, it didn't capture my attention at the time. I was bored with the whole fashion and rich life that I was reading, so I quit before the third chapter. When I left home for spring semester, I figured, what the hey. I'll bring it and maybe try to read it again! So when I started my own little ABC challenge for my I've Had Forever But Never Read books I put Blue Bloods in as Book Starting With B. 

I didn't really feel connected with any of the characters. I liked most of them, though. Maybe it's because I'm not rich or something like that, but I just didn't connect. I liked Oliver and Bliss. They were fun little side/main characters. I loved Mimi! I loved how... mean she was. How she knew she was like Queen Bee. And her brother, Jack! Oooh, I want to see where that relationship goes! Schuyler I didn't like. She was too cliche for my taste. The emo girl who looks like she lives on the streets but is still always beautiful. has no parents, and doesn't fit in with anyone at her school. Also, she didn't seem to have any character flaws. Too perfect for me. 

Other than the characters, I liked the types of vampires de la Cruz created. The Blue Bloods seemed really creative and I liked the history and backgrounds of them. I loved the idea of being reborn but still having the same memories. The only part that I thought was a little ridiculous and rushed was the angel part. I'm sure we'll get more into it in the coming books, though. With vampires, I feel like you have a lot of freedom to make it your own and that's what she definitely did. 

Overall, I liked the book. I know a lot of people don't like the name brands being mentioned every couple of lines but since I'm fashion-stupid, it didn't really bother me. It takes a while for the story to actually get going but I guess that's the way it is with series books, right? It didn't really mention vampires or anything until well into the book but I figured out pretty much everything that was going on without it. It was a quick read and if you love vampires, I'm sure you'll like this book.

Thanks for reading. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment